Universal Active Math
(UAM) is a comprehensive programme for the universalization of school math at a mass scale. This can be implemented as a systematic programme at a class, school, cluster, block, district, state and country level.
Every child can master mathematics if it is learnt by understanding and only by understanding.
Universalization needs appropriate pedagogy.
The well known Chinese proverb, ‘I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand’, is the basis of this pedagogy. Children solve a problem in the language of things/actions and discover the concept by themselves. A structured sequence of such problems is important to every child constructing her own math concepts.
Good pedagogy and materials are necessary for universalization, but not sufficient. Universalization needs systems. Every teacher and officer should know the systems and should be able to use them effectively.
A roadmap designed collectively by all stakeholders, high-quality inputs, systematic and rigorous implementation, diagnostic assessments of ‘understanding’, shaping the programme considering the outcomes and continuous effort leads to universalization.
Rectangle Mult 2D
Dr. Vivek Monteiro
Quality Math & Science Education for All
Dr. Vivek Monteiro
The following videos are made by the Centre for Equity and Quality in Universal Education.
You can see UAM methods being implemented in actual classrooms in Akshar Nandan School.
Banking on integers – चिन्हांकित संख्यांची ओळख
Balancing Equations – समीकरणांची ओळख
UAM Articles and Papers
Intensive UAM Programmes
- Universal Active Math pedagogy was first implemented by us in 1999 in a school in a tribal area, Com. B. T. R. Highschool. Mod, Block Taloda, District Nandurbar, Maharashtra, India
- Systematic UAM programme was then taken up in 4 schools of Arya Vidya Mandir, Mumbai. (Starting from the year 2001)
- From 2002 onwards it was introduced in 92 Nagarparishad Schools of Chandrapur, Ballarpur, Rajura and Warora.
- From 2007 onwards it was implemented in 308 Z. P. Schools of 3 blocks of Goa state, Sanguem, Sattari and Cancona.
- We have done workshops for more than 10,000 teachers across and outside India.
- More than 10,000 schools in India use our methods and materials. These include schools affiliated to CBSE, ICSE, IB, SSC boards of the type: government schools, tribal ashram shalas, private schools, child labour schools, Aanganwadis, training colleges.
- We have also done workshops with State Key Resource Persons of Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Goa, Punjab.
- We have participated in the curriculum revision exercise of Kerala.
- We have also participated in NCERT textbook writing.
- Our members are on various state and central educational bodies in an advisory capacity